Zoabi wants justice in a world of peace and coexistence, where all live “on an equal footing.” Whose footing?
Haneen Zoabi, is a Palestinian Arab and an Israeli citizen, the first Arab Israeli woman to be elected to the Israeli legislative body on an Arab party’s list. She was born in Nazareth. Zoabi studied philosophy and psychology at the University of Haifa, earning a Bachelors of Arts, and received a Masters of Arts in communications from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She was the first Arab citizen of Israel to graduate in media studies, and established the first media classes in Arab schools. She also worked as a mathematics teacher and worked as a school inspector for the Israeli Ministry of Education. She is a relative of Seif el-Din el-Zoubi, a former mayor of Nazareth and member of the Knesset between 1949 and 1959, and again from 1965 until 1979, and Abd el-Aziz el-Zoubi, a Deputy Health Minister and the first Arab member of an Israeli government. 
In an astonishing article published today in Pravda.ru titled The defeat of “apartheid Israel” written by Leonardo Wexell Severo and originally published in Brazil, Severo states that Zoabi is the “Defender of human rights and the value of freedom for all people.” He adds, “Haneen Zoabi stresses that her compass is justice in a world of peace and coexistence, where all live ‘on an equal footing.'”
Here is a selection of what Zoabi allegedly said to Severo.
- “Eighty-five percent of the Palestinian population was expelled in 1948. Today we are the third generation after the earthquake, 1.2 million Israeli Arabs, 18% of the population of Israel, a racist state, which uses tools for their religious domination. This is the reality of the policy of apartheid, very invisibilized, the media acting as a propaganda tool to justify indiscriminate massacres against the population who are women, children or elderly. In advertising for the dominator, the Palestinians are “terrorists “
- “Israel has no constitution, no borders”
- “Israel is a country that has no constitution, no borders, but 30 laws that legitimize any abuse. There is a law of 2003, which forbids marriage between Palestinians, and one from 2011, that allows the confiscation of Palestinian land. It is a strategy of war conducted and exercised against an entire people with the logic that taking more land, means fewer Arabs. The expelled, from 1967, are no longer citizens in this state. Due to the Family Reunion and Naturalization law,for example, those who left Jerusalem for more than six months can lose citizenship. That is, a Jew born in Brazil has more rights than an Arab who was born there. In addition to the confiscation of land, building a house is running the risk of it being overturned because the Home Office has no record that maps it. Thus, construction is illegal, we are not entitled to be there. Without being able to occupy land, or build more additions. We have 60 thousand homes without permission. Then the state comes in and destroys everything. “
- “Besides the conflict over land in Israel, there is a conflict over identity, because racism is very present. The confiscation of Palestinian land, the construction and delineation of cities, the disappearance of towns and villages, the laws of education, building parties and civil organizations are part of the same policy of segregation. They want to ban the Palestinian people from living in their territory.”
- “As a Palestinian, one cannot marry a non-Palestinian, even if they are Brazilian or Syrian. If the husband’s father is Palestinian, with an Arab surname he cannot marry. Those who live in the West Bank live better than Israeli Arabs, because they are Palestinians, we are not. Due to an absurd law, if we say that we have Palestinian identity, we are not being loyal to the Israeli state. I, a Member of Knesset, cannot be called Palestinian. In official documents we are not Jews. We have no identity.”
- “The role of the Israeli Ministry of Education is for us to disappear with our identity. Among its goals is to link to the Jewish State of Israel, link to the diaspora in the world, and strengthen the Hebrew language. I did not exist before 1948, we are all ghosts. In Arab schools, it is forbidden to teach what happened. The literature of resistance is prohibited. It is forbidden to teach about the nationalist revolution of 1952 in Egypt, that Nasser was talking about. All sixth-grade textbooks, for example, are on the Holocaust as a unique human catastrophe. I identify as a victim of the Holocaust more than the Israelis who are repressing us. We must be loyal to the lessons of history: do not kill, do not be racist, be loyal. By killing and discriminating unfairly, Israel is perpetrating a Holocaust. “
- “We are forbidden even to remember the Nakba, the catastrophe. We have no right to memory or history. All institutions are gagged, forbidden even to mention the Nakba. If any student or teacher talks about it, the Ministry simply cuts the resources of the educational institution. “
- “We have fought in defense of a state for all its citizens. This is a project of citizenship that goes against the essence of Zionism that is racist, which is the project of a Jewish state. For the Zionist Jews, the danger posed by Israeli Arabs is the same as the nuclear reactors in Iran. We live in a confrontation between democracy and Judaization, between colonizer and colonized, hence the separation wall, hence the siege of Gaza. The Judaization of the state is an obsessive disorder .”
- “Israel has 60 agreements with European countries and even deal arms with the Brazilian government, to sell planes to Brazil. The fact is that every time Israel expands, illegally annexing the Palestinian territories, it has better relations with the countries of the world. So the Israeli government reads this as support for its expansion, while it should pay the price for this affront to international law. When this illegal expansion is denounced in parliament, a minister immediately ascends the podium and says do not worry, we have good relations and they are improving every day. That is, when you sign an agreement with Israel, it is not only economical, as customarily heard by governments, but a political settlement. It is an immoral support, because Israel is committing crimes “
Leonardo Wexell Severo is a communications adviser to CUT (Unified Workers) National, Brazil, and a special reporter of the newspaper People’s Time. He is the author of several works – including the “Latifúndio Midiota” which portrays the reality of capitalist media.
(Photo credit: CUT)