Hamas “bears the full responsibility for the deepening humanitarian tragedy.” – Canadian government minister
JANUARY 7, 2009 – Yesterday jewishinfoNews reported about the Israeli shelling of a UN run-school located in Gaza and how: “in just 70 words the BBC, using only outside information sources, helps to ferment hate by not telling the complete story.”
In a report datelined January 8, 2009 this is how the United Nations News Service has reported these incidents, which we believe now raises serious questions as to where the BBC not only receives its information from, but how easily it is willing to accept it:
Ban Ki-moon condemns rocket attack from Gaza school run by UN agency
8 November 2007 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has deplored a rocket attack against Israel that was launched from a school in the Gaza Strip run by the United Nations agency tasked with assisting Palestinian refugees . . .
Inquiries made so far indicate that the school had been evacuated at the time of the rocket attack to ensure the safety of both the staff and the pupils during an Israeli military incursion. Palestinian militants entered the school while it was empty and then fired rockets from the compound.
“The Secretary-General condemns this abuse of UN facilities, which is a serious violation of the UN’s privileges and immunities,” Ms. Okabe said. “He calls on all involved in this conflict to avoid actions that endanger the lives of civilians, especially children, and that put at risk UNRWA’s ability to carry out its humanitarian mission.”
In addition, an article in Canada’s national newspaper the Globe and Mail, is a little more succinct:
Ottawa blames Hamas for civilian deaths at school
OTTAWA — Canada’s Conservative government says Hamas is responsible for civilian deaths at a UN school where Israeli mortar fire killed at least 40 Tuesday, arguing they have used civilians to shield fighters.
The Harper government says a ceasefire can work only if Hamas not only stops rocket attacks but permanently disarms, maintaining a staunchly pro-Israel position as many other Western nations pressed for an immediate ceasefire.
The paper adds:
Canada’s junior foreign minister, Peter Kent, said that despite sketchy details on the school strike, it is clear that Hamas “bears the full responsibility for the deepening humanitarian tragedy.
“We really don’t have complete details yet, other than the fact that we know that Hamas has made a habit of using civilians and civilian infrastructure as shields for their terrorist activities, and that would seem to be the case again today,” he said in an interview.
He added: “In many ways, Hamas behaves as if they are trying to have more of their people killed to make a terrible terrorist point.” . . .
Canada’s position now places it among Israel’s most staunch supporters in the world during the 11-day military offensive in Gaza.